Courage

10.25.19

“Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen.” ― Brené Brown

Remember when they told you that“80 percent of success is just showing up”? Well, that was just half of the Woody Allen quote, the rest says, “20 percent is what you’re showing up FOR!”

So, I’m with Brene on this one. Showing up is only part of the action we need to take, the other part is making ourselves VISIBLE, willing to be seen – sometimes standing alone in our truth.

What’s the truth you are afraid to make visible? Are you thinking that no one can see it so you’re “safe”? Are you hoping that no one will know, so you don’t have to talk about it, justify it or explain it?  Guess what, that’s not courage. . .that’s cowardice.

That’s where I find myself when I’m making excuses for NOT showing up. . .

  • At the gym because my shoulder hurts and I’m only going to be able to do a wimpy work-out anyway.
  • At the community center pool because my thighs are made not of cottage cheese, but of plaster of Paris that’s shifted south and isn’t coming back – (can’t let that be seen!)
  • At the yoga class where I know they’ll want me to kneel, and I can’t, so there’s no use in going – right?
  • At the support group where someone will surely see through my “I’m fine” and press me for what’s really going on in my life.

Courage requires that we show up and hold ourselves to the standard of visibility – being seen for who we are, how we are, what we are – especially in our moments of pain or discomfort or embarrassment. After all, we’re HUMAN; we’re flawed, imperfect and yet amazingly capable of so very much!

What are you hiding today? Can I come stand beside you in the honesty of your truth?  Can I tell you mine without being laughed at?  I hope so – because not only is that the beginning of courage, it is the beginning of love.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

About Paula

I help other caregivers – both professionals and family caregivers – acknowledge their pain and learn to practice the many small skills of self-care that can sustain them through the challenges of wholeheartedly caring for others.

Recent Posts

Still Life of a cold - a mug of tea, classes, and tissues

It’s Just a Cold. . .

This week, I caught a “cold.” It presented as a sinus infection, likely viral, and fairly annoying if not completely debilitating. I think the added distress of this infection was that I haven’t had a “cold” in the last several years. I think I believed I was “immune” – but of course, I’m not.

Read More →
yellow road trip van traverses an open road in a rocky desert

OMG, Road Trip(s)!

For those of you who lead “normal” lives – lives that aren’t built around the needs of other people with serious limitations – the idea of taking a road trip probably sounds entirely ordinary. But for a full-time caregiver (like me), the logistics associated with the notion of getting into a car, spending several hours in that confined space, transporting our life (with all the necessary belongings) to a hotel, spending the night, and enjoying a different expanse of scenery is entirely foreign!

Read More →
An orange alarm block held up against a blue background

Where does the time go?

It’s Labor Day weekend which reminds me that we’ve reached the end of meteorological summer. And, of course, I ask myself, “Where did the summer go?” That’s because I can’t remember what I did with the time, how I used it, squandered it, enjoyed it, wasted it or invested it – it just vanished.

Read More →
How Can I Help You?

Through Co-Create 4 Life, you will learn a range of well-being strategies from skillfully implementing self-care to holistic approaches to well-being, rebuilding resilience, and battling burnout. Book a free consultation call today to discuss your options.

How Can I Help You?

Through Co-Create 4 Life, you will learn a range of well-being strategies from skillfully implementing self-care to holistic approaches to well-being, rebuilding resilience, and battling burnout. Book a free consultation call today to discuss your options.